Thursday, March 22, 2012

Lessons from Dress Up Day

As a mom, one of my goals is teaching my children to stand up for truth even when it means being different. I am not interested in producing children who look down their noses at everyone who differs and says "they're dumb". Nor am I interested in being mom to children who whine and feel life isn't fair or any fun because they always have to be different. Requiring your children to be different can feel hard and create pangs of pity in a mother's heart! This week's dress up day at school provided an unexpected opportunity for some hands on teaching. And, surprise! I found it was rather simple after all. Children are not dumb. When I discussed the issue with my 2nd and 4th graders, and explained our feelings on creativity vs. spending money and being outlandish, they totally got it and we had fun together! The bottom line? Just saying "no" to stuff teaches my children nothing, but having a reasonable explanation that we can talk about does! Even so, I admit to praying a little extra for their day today :)

No comments: