Monday, January 22, 2018

January Q & A: #6 Tips For Sickness/Boosting Immunity

Question #6:

"I have come to expect January to contain many illnesses, and partly blame it on Christmas gatherings and such at the end of December. But it still gets old! What are some things you do to promote wellness and boost immunities? Or any tips to help nurse the sick, whether colds or fevers or stomach bugs? What about coping tips for mom?"

This question makes me think of my mom, and a post I once wrote. My Mom was a faithful pill taker and doctor-er. I somehow missed that gene. I know, for example, that taking B-Complex helps my moods and general well-being but do I faithfully take it? Oh, no. I take it for awhile and then, for one reason or another, I forget about it for a long stretch until suddenly I remember, oh yes. B-Complex really does help; I should take it again. Or, for example, I know that taking mega doses of vitamin C at the first sign of a cold has been known to prevent it from proceeding further but do I faithfully run for the vitamin C? Oh, no. Way too much trouble and, after all, 50/50 chance it'll just go away on it's own... Sigh.

I know there are a lot of moms out there who are much more faithful than I. They give their children immune boosting things like elderberry juice and probiotics and echinacea. I should, but I mostly don't.

I got one response to this question --

"We have found for colds—take high doses of Vitamin C and echinacea (like a cpl 3 times a day) at the first sign of a cold has really helped us! I had a whole day of sneezing “401” times and nose running and feeling like I’m going to get a full blown cold, but by the next morning, I was basically fine. So that’s our go to for that"

One year I was sold on hitting the first sign of sickness, especially a cold or sore throat, with high doses of Vit C. We used the packets of Emergen-C and were very impressed with the results. Then the idea kind of wore off.

I have heard many people say that drinking Welch's 100% grape juice at the first sign of stomach flu, or even as preventative when exposed to stomach flu, does wonders. I haven't really tested the theory - I never remember to have it on hand - but it would be worth a try.

Something that I am sold on for sore throats or for lots of sinus drainage is the technique described in this video. We have used this a LOT with amazing results. Even my husband asks me to rub his neck when he has sinus issues. (You would have to know him well to know just how significant this is.)

I haven't gotten into probiotics much but I did discover they help my second daughter's issues with eczema, so she takes one daily. The past several winters I have had the three youngest take a probiotic daily and I do think it has reduced sickness overall (it's almost impossible to prove, ya know). We use this chewable probiotic. My oldest daughter has also been taking them daily. She tends to constantly have sinus issues and taking a probiotic has cleared that up for her. She takes these. I might insert here, the only reason these have been taken faithfully is the fact that my youngest ones like the pills and my oldest seems to have inherited her grandmother's faithful pill taking gene.

That's about all I have to offer on that question.

Except I will add this. At the beginning of this month, when we had someone down with different flu bugs for weeks on end, there was one thing that kept going through my mind: It's just flu bugs; it will run it's course eventually.

I know of several families who have a loved one battling an illness that is not just a flu bug. In the middle of those weeks of seemingly never-ending sickness, I would think of the mamas in those situations. Over and over I would try to imagine how it must feel to wake up morning after morning knowing that this sickness is not going to just disappear with time. My imagination failed me. But it did do wonders for my perspective.

                  *****************

I need some input on several more questions. After my last post on activities for children that were mostly geared toward girls, someone asked for ideas for boys ages 4-13 . I don't have many ideas, so I would love to hear yours!

Also, another question:
"How do you stay warm wearing dresses in the winter? Do you have practical advice for what kind of layering garments, how to not look sloppy, etc?"

If you have any input for these questions please email me at christopherbethany@juno.com, I would love to hear from you!

5 comments:

Shirley Martin said...

You all have to move to Canada! I can honestly say we haven't had the stomach flu in our house for at least the last year and a half. (Now watch us get it tomorrow 😂)Also my friend with a 4 yr.old and 2 yr.old says her children never had it!!! Why? I think it's our freezing weather...even the germs freeze to death!🤣

Bethany Eicher said...

Oh my. This is a tough one! I really, really dislike winter time..... I might even choose the occasional stomach flu 😂

Regina said...

I would like to add frequent hand washing, especially after taking care of a sick little o e.

Anonymous said...

Pineapple juice helps with coughs. -Karen R.

Luella said...

This is great! I heard of and tried the grape juice this year and haven't gotten the stomach flu yet even though my littles have had it three different times. I don't think it's foolproof because some of them were drinking it too but maybe it helped me? My sister also mentioned and uses the echinacea. She puts dried leaves in tea- but I don't have it on hand and have not remembered to get any.
Your last paragraph about perspective though! In the middle of it I am always looking ahead and trying to guess which day we'll be back to "normal". What if we were dealing with the type you mentioned, where your body does not just fight it off and recover! Good reminder. Thanks Bethany.
Luella