Monday, May 14, 2018

The Dilemma Of A Woman Who Invites Company

So you're living your life, doing your work, accomplishing your tasks, content with your world, and then... you invite company.


Suddenly every nook and cranny is viewed through visitors eyes. As if the scales have magically been removed from your eyes, every room - every wall - every drawer - every cupboard - every closet - appears different than it did only yesterday. Every project you have been meaning to tackle, every half-finished idea you haven't found time for, every dream you wanted to do suddenly becomes a pressing need you should have accomplished yesterday.


"Oh, that horrible, awful trash pile that certainly shouldn't still be here a year after moving! Oh, the weeds I was going to weedeat; oh the brambles I was going to mow! Oh, the messy porch -- and most other people would wash their filthy siding! How do the appliances in my kitchen get so grimy? I've been planning to hang a plant in that corner... I've been wanting those quilts done... All winter those coat hooks were supposed to go up... HOW do I let my bedroom accumulate so many piles?? Why do I let my children pretend the bookshelf is their kitchen/play space/storage area??? Does anybody ever dust this place thoroughly?! When was the last time I washed that mirror? I absolutely refuse to examine the windows; there are limits."

Of course I am exaggerating.

A little.


Clearly I need to have company more often. Or I need to keep the scales off of my eyes on a daily basis. Or I need to leave the scales on and realize that the company will probably be wearing some themselves. Or I need to remember that visitors will be too polite to comment on that trash pile so who cares what they think.......

Or, even better, I could just focus on making the people entering my home feel welcome and cared about, instead of thinking about me and my pride and reputation.


Then again, I could just look at it as a good way to get some things accomplished around here for once. After all, when else do I ever get around to cleaning those corners that my company won't see anyway?

This is what happens when you try to take a Mother's Day photo --
One out of twenty catches everyone looking at the camera!

-------------------------------------------------------------

Obviously, we had company yesterday. And, obviously, although this is written tongue in cheek, it's also embarrassingly true. I'm curious, do any of the rest of you identify?

10 comments:

Regina said...

Oh my goodness I can relate. It's what Flylady call C.H.A.O.S. Which stands for Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome. I suffered terribly with that at our old house in CA.
Now here we are in our new house and I can see it headed towards CHAOS again. The windows need washing, the kitchen grout needs scrubbing, the dead catnip needs to be removed and the list goes on. For some reason at our house the kitchen counter has become a place to leave empty cereal boxes, empty cat treat containers, candy wrappers, etc.
So yes I totally can identify. You children are adorable by the way.

Rosie said...

Yes!!!!

Jane said...

Unfortunately yes! But then sometimes I take the scales off before inviting and say 'no way'! But that's another story.

Bethany Eicher said...

I know what you're talking about, sister!

Dorcas said...

Oh how I laughed and laughed at this because it is SO TRUE OF MY LIFE!!!

Bethany Eicher said...

I feel so much better. ☺☺

Tina Z. said...

Yes, yes, I can certainly identify. I do need to just let some things go as I prepare for company....but tell me, what piles should I leave and what shouldn't get straightened up? See, its not that easy.:) :) :)

Bethany Eicher said...

Exactly!!

Laura Kauffman said...

I can identify. But I have found such a joy in having company now that we have a house big enough to do so! I just tell the company that this is our house and this is where we live, so therefore it will look lived-in!!! And I figure if they don't like my house, they are free to leave. :) I have yet to have someone complain about how my house looks, and it is just so much less stressful to keep in mind that company will feel more comfortable in a messy house than one that they are afraid they might mess up!! I would encourage you to have company more often. The more you do it, the easier it gets and the more you will enjoy it.

tabitha said...

Oh my oh my oh my. This is so, so true of me. I LOVE this post and your transparency-- it offers comfort to this fellow laborer with scales on her own eyes. Such a perfect way to describe it!