Monday, June 18, 2018

17 Things From 17 Years: Post 11

#11: Be flexible or be miserable.

This one is probably not something that will apply to all wives. Not all of you are married to men who like to plan things spur of the moment and who hate to set anything in stone. But I am. And this quote is perfection.

Long, long ago in the nursing baby, toddler potty training, diaper bag schlepping days, I somehow embraced tried to imbrace the importance of being flexible. I'm so glad I did.

Chris was a small business owner back then, building and installing kitchen countertops in all manner of kitchens. I have so many good memories of dragging my little kiddos out to the job.  Chris loved to have us there to help him clean up or to give him an extra set of hands or to just keep him company.

Sometimes the houses were new ones and we had the place to ourselves to run around and play Hide and Seek or I Spy. Other times we met the owners who gave our children chocolate chip cookies or sent home vintage toys or boxes of multi colored dominoes they still play with today. I remember one dear old lady who played Uno with my little tots. There were a few customers we made friends with and went back to visit long after their countertops were completed.

It wasn't that taking down directions to an obscure place, loading everyone up and keeping them happy throughout the process was always easy or convenient. I had my days when I drug my feet or grouched my way through. Sometimes I had to say no, I just can't do it today. But I'm so glad for all the times I dropped everything and went.

You never know how much time you have left to spend with each other. Sure, his spur of the moment, decide-as-you-go stuff annoys me sometimes. I learned long, long ago that you don't ever tell your children any plans until the last minute. Sure as you tell them earlier, plans will change and you'll be left dealing with disappointed kiddos. But it's always worth dropping my plans in order to spend time together. No one ever got to the end of their lives and wished they wouldn't have spent so much time with their loved ones.

So,yes. Seventeen years of marriage has changed me quite a lot in the flexibility department. You never know when you might get a call asking "Can you go pick up some tires and bring them to the shop?" or "Be ready to go out for supper when I get home!" It keeps life interesting and it sure isn't worth being miserable about.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm enjoying your posts on marriage and today's on flexibility is a good reminder for me. I like to plan ahead too,but if I'm not flexible,I can miss out on alot of good things!

Bethany Eicher said...

I know what you mean!