Thursday, January 12, 2012

Not an Emergency

Calm. Haste makes waste. Life is not an emergency. Life is brief and fleeting but it is not an emergency... Emergencies are sudden, unexpected events - but is anything under the sun unexpected to God? (Ann Voskamp, One Thousand Gifts) I fell yesterday. In my rush to finish a phone call and get littles bundled and make it to school to pick up children, I wiped out. Slipped on the walkway and mud and sprained my big toe! God must have known I needed a visual to bring the truth of what I read home. Today I'm in forced slow mode! Maybe this will teach me to slow down more often. To really listen when my children talk, really pay attention to what their little imaginations are playing, really show love in my discipline, really take time to enter their worlds. How I fail in that! So today I'm sitting on the couch and hobbling around taking a lesson on slowing down. Do I really accomplish more in my rushing? In the things that matter for eternity, probably not. So, what am I living my life for? Now? Or eternity?

No comments: