Thursday, January 5, 2012

Open Hand

Joy. Happiness. It's what we spend our lives searching for. Anything that takes it away we stear clear of, rebel against, run from, struggle with. Is it safe to say that all our worries, struggles, fears... come from a reaction to threats against joy? True to say that it's our human way of trying to control circumstances and protect joy? God is shining His light through to me by His words delivered through Ann Voskamp. "Joy is a flame that glimmers only in the palm of an open and humble hand." "Palms curled into protective fists fill with darkness." "Bend the knee and...let God give what God chooses to give because *He only gives love* and whisper surprised thanks. This is the fuel for Joy's flame." How bright His light is in the dark places of my heart! I am gulping the words but need to spend time ruminating and digesting. Clothes sit in the washer, dishes pile up and children fight. I open my hand and begin to offer my thanks in the now, the everyday, this moment and then the next.

No comments: