Thursday, March 20, 2014

To Be Like Mom

The older I get, the more ways I remind myself of my mom. Sadly, I seem to have inherited more of her weaknesses than her strengths! One of those shining strengths that seems to have missed my genes completely is her love for visiting people. As far back as I can remember, mom has had some older person(s) that she visits and/or calls regularly. She loves to sit and visit with them, maybe taking them something or maybe just brightening their day with a listening ear. She loves to hear their many stories of by-gone days and takes a special interest in their hobbies and eats their food. I, on the other hand, might *think* of doing these things, but they rarely happen. Occasionally, I have a day like today when I take myself in hand and say, "You ARE going to make that phone call and you WILL take that jar of soup and your little people and go and visit!" And, you know what? When I do I get a glimpse of the warm feeling that must have blessed my mom all these years! Maybe it doesn't just come in the genes....

1 comment:

Janelle said...

Yes, Bethany, your Mom truly is an inspiration to me, too! Because of her and my Mom's example, I even consider it an option. Thanks for reminding me.