Monday, June 4, 2018

17 Things From 17 Years: Post 1

#1: Never stop saying I love you and giving a good-bye and welcome home kiss.

The very first day my brand new husband went off to his brand new job, he began a tradition. After saying "I love you" and kissing me good-bye, he went out to his vehicle. Then, he turned around and came back in for one more kiss.

I could probably count on one hand the days he hasn't kept up his tradition since. It doesn't matter where we've lived, what the weather is doing or what time it is. When he goes out the door, I can count on him re-appearing at least once for one last kiss.

Except for that one day when our oldest was little and I told him, "Don't come back in. So often when you come back, the baby wakes up and I just want him to sleep longer!"

I changed my mind quickly.

The very next morning I said, "Please come back in. That felt completely wrong yesterday. I'd much rather have another kiss than to have the baby sleep a little longer!"

In the evening when he comes home from work, it's rare that I don't take a moment to greet him with a welcome home kiss.

These little actions may seem small and insignificant in some ways. But 17 years of marriage have taught me it's often the little things that provide the strongest glue in a relationship. Saying "I love you" and knowing that second -- and sometimes third or fourth -- kiss is coming in the morning, and taking a moment to greet my man when he comes home at night is one small way we keep the stars shining in our eyes.

4 comments:

Melinda Kornelsen said...

I love this! I'm very into marriage:) and read all I can on the subject. We're celebrating 4 years on the 7th♡

Bethany Eicher said...

Happy Anniversary!

Regina said...

Happy anniversary Melinda! And Bethany I love this post too. You and your hubby make an adorable couple with adorable children!

Carol W. said...

Happy anniversary Melinda! Bethany, my husband and I have the same tradition with kisses (yes, he most always returns for his second kiss) and I love you's. We've been married 7 years and, like you, I can count on one hand the number of times we missed. When we do miss kissing goodbyes or hellos, I feel cheated somehow, but I know he still loves me anyway. It's a good tradition to teach our children to keep in their own future marriages. God bless you both!