Saturday, June 2, 2018

Seventeen Years

Seventeen years ago Chris and I said, "I do."

I'd do it all over again. Although it would be nice to skip a few things along the path from there to here.....

Of course, the truth is, if we skipped those things we probably wouldn't be exactly where we are now. The things along the path have a way of teaching us and shaping who we become. So, I guess I really would do it all over again.

Last weekend Chris and I spent  a few days away to relax and celebrate our anniversary.  We made no big nor fancy plans, just a motel a couple hours from home and whatever we decided to do. It was lovely, and so very "us". He required me to buy fabric for myself and loaded up on more snacks and sub supplies than we would begin to eat.


We lazed around and talked and hashed and talked some more. We learned a few things and understood a few things better and solved quite a few of the world's problems for them. We took a lovely walk and played a few games and then Chris got sick for the last day and night and that wasn't so lovely at all.


Mostly, we just enjoyed each other. What a gift that is.

A shared sense of humor is a gift, too. A few weeks ago we all went on a little drive on a Sunday evening and took a walk along the lake. Somewhere along the line we got started taking pictures of each other. It dissolved into hilarity quickly.


We laughed the hardest over Lillian's photo prop idea. There was an old payphone along our way, and Chris had been telling the children how he used to call me on a payphone while we were dating so he wouldn't have to hear the fussing about the phone bill he shouldn't be running up. She positioned us carefully and proceeded to take our picture.

I think that's close to how he looked 
the first time I finally said "I love you".

Since no "How We Met" stories have flooded my inbox, I guess I am forced to come up with a different brainstorm for the month of June. I thought at first I could do a series of posts called "17 things I've learned from 17 years of marriage". Then I started making my list and decided I'd better leave out the word learned. Not so sure that would be accurate. 

I am planning to do a series though, and I'm calling it simply "17 From 17".

Throughout the month of June, you can expect to find 17 posts with 17 things I've learned/ discovered/ become aware of in 17 years of marriage. They're not going to be anything lengthy or profound; just short little pieces of my personal experience. If you're not into marriage, feel free to come back in July. If you are into marriage, I hope you enjoy this month!

7 comments:

Carol W. said...

Happy Anniversary! 17 years together and a lovely family is such a blessing! I'm glad you got to take some time for just the two of you to enjoy each other. God bless you both!

Regina said...

Congratulations to the both of you! I must have missed your "How We Met" request because I would have sent my story.

Bethany Eicher said...

Well now, that is a shame! I will have to remember you for another time!

Bethany Eicher said...

Thank you!

Tina Z. said...

Happy 17th Anniversary ya'll! Ours is coming up soon.....:)
This month should be interesting. :)

Cessie said...

Happy 17th Anniversary to you! And to me...my husband and I were also married 17 years ago on June 2nd. I've enjoyed your blog. Thanks for putting your perspective on life, love, family, etc. out here for all of us to read. Many blessings to you, and may the Lord continue to strengthen our marriages and families!

Bethany Eicher said...

How fun that we have the same anniversary! Happy Anniversary to you too, and thanks for commenting ☺