Thursday, March 22, 2018

To Make Their Eyes Sparkle

In Ohio, the first day of Spring meant a snow day. I'm not going to mention any attitudes associated with that, except gratitude about school being cancelled. I almost felt like I should apologize to the rest of the school patrons about the change in schedule, because it was obvious to me that the Lord just needed to take care of the lady on The Hill who's husband wasn't at home.

We spent a truly lazy day lounging around in night clothes, playing games that we were too lazy to find the pieces for and other such strenuous activities.


In the late afternoon, when I was putting off starting supper as long as possible, my eight year old came begging to have a "Restaurant" for supper. They've been wanting to do this for awhile and I've been putting them off for lots of 'good' reasons - mostly laziness and selfishness on my part. I started to drag my feet and then decided, why not?

We decided on a menu of Taco Salad so that each person could choose what they want on their salad and they came up with appetizers of Ritz crackers with melted cheese with or without pepperoni or ham. We came up with a simple dessert, some cheesy biscuits and a choice of drinks to round out the menu. And then we got busy.

Of course, the unique thing about this restaurant was that I got to be the chef and then turn around and be a customer ☺



Jennifer and Lillian busily worked on menus and setting up their table in the basement while Jasmine helped me work on food.


We set up food stations for them while they prepared all the details for their customers, right down to bells to ring for service.


When everything was ready, Isaac, Jasmine, Charles and I took our places at the table and our friendly waitresses came to take our drink and appetizer orders.



As they were leaving, Isaac wondered if this place has crayons and pictures to color? Lillian promptly popped his bubble by producing stickers and paper that she had prepared just for that purpose! We got a good laugh out of that one.


I had to be the annoying customer who rang the bell just to bring a waitress down to ask if they have a restroom?


The drinks and appetizers were served and then it was on to ordering the main course. Our waitresses made a few mistakes, which they apologized for profusely, and we chuckled (behind their backs) over the meager helpings they served us.


Turns out it was an all you can eat type of deal, so we all had seconds and were quite well filled.


Last of all we were offered dessert which some of us barely had room for.

We left our waitresses a generous tip, which they were quite thrilled with. Then we did a most unusual thing and told them the customers would clean up their dishes and food if they would bring the things up from the basement.


All in all, it was quite fun and well worth the extra effort. The sparkling eyes and the multiple thank yous, given with hugs and big smiles, were enough to make this mom glad she had said yes.


What makes your children's eyes sparkle? Do you have memories from your childhood when you were the one with sparkling eyes?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Going for free ice cream at Dairy Queen on the first day of spring! Or to Ritas for a small free Italian Ice on the first day of spring!:) Tina Ps Thanks for the book you sent me the other month! Was a brightener to my day!:)

Bethany Eicher said...

Ice cream is sure to bring a sparkle! You are welcome ☺

Tina Z. said...

Ooh, wow. The girls will never forget this special event, will they?:)

Anonymous said...

I love Ohio snow days:-) You and your family sound like you had a good time, and your son reminds me of my son.