Monday, November 5, 2018

Tidbits

Confession: I take this blog way too seriously. If I don't post for awhile, I always feel like I should have something big to say when I return. When I don't have something big to say, I just keep on not returning. It's time to stop taking things so seriously.

And so..... a post of tidbits....

     * * * * *


My youngest has been going off to school three days a week since October 17. He absolutely loves it and has turned into a little man almost over night. He delights in telling us all the things he is learning!

People wonder how I'm doing with my baby going off to school? Honestly, it's a switch but so far I'm rather enjoying it.

     * * * * *


My view is returning! I'm not a huge fan of Autumn, it reminds me too much of what is coming next, but we have had some delightful weather and some pretty trees and I do look forward to that view...

     * * * * *


Speaking of views.

Charles: "Look at the clouds, mom!"
Me: [busily washing dishes] "They're pretty aren't they?"
Charles: "Yes! You should take a picture... pleeease mom?!"

Glad I did.

    * * * * *

For months now I've been listening to the chronological Bible in the NLT version as I have time and/ think of doing it. Listening to the Old Testament makes me deeply grateful that I'm living in the time of the new covenant; listening to Psalms makes me almost chuckle at David. Ever notice how often he's moaning and lamenting one minute and praising and worshipping the next?

Makes me feel like maybe I'm normal.

     * * * * *

This past weekend was a doozy. We had our first experience doing respite care + Chris and Isaac were gone Saturday - Sunday.


Walking and biking under the gorgeous blue sky Sunday evening was the perfect way to get some deep breathes for my soul.


I like these people. 

    * * * * *

A week ago I discovered a little, pink package in our church mailbox. Curiosity aroused, I quietly opened it while around me the singing progressed. Quickly scanning the note inside, I found the sweetest, most encouraging words and the signature of a friend far away. Completely mystified as to how this bit of 'water for a thirsty soul' had made it's way to our church mailbox, I could hardly wait to email the sender!

All of this to say, if the idea/ opportunity presents itself to surprise someone with a bit of encouragement, do it. Do it! You may never know how deeply a heart may be touched.

    * * * *


Charles loves to rinse dishes when Lillian is the dish washer. There's often a lot more than dishes happening with these two. One night I caught them on video, Lillian pouring and Charles solemnly intoning (among many and garbled things), "Do you promise to be good? Yes. So I make it to the father, the son, and the holy ghost..."

You can bet there was a lot of laughter going on behind their backs!

    * * * *

There's my tidbits, what are yours?

12 comments:

Tina Z. said...

Welcome back! :) How was respite care and what age (s) did you have? Little children and the words they say....what would we do without that.:) :)

Bethany Eicher said...

We had a 2 yr old and it went well! But also gave me a lot of mixed feelings about all this too, to be honest...

Regina said...

I love little children! I wish mine were little again. The sunsets and sunrises here in AZ are so beautiful so I'm glad you took that picture.

So some tidbits from my life include:

My husband Tim not being at fault for the car accident from a month ago and being grateful for the small check from the at fault driver's insurance company. We were able to buy a nice used car from a brother at our church.

Our church had it's 40th anniversary celebration and it was sweet to see our pastor and his wife from the younger years. They looked so cute!

A few weeks ago my friend texted me and asked if I had a need for a brand new, still in the box 20qt electric roaster. I have always wanted one but could never afford one. I've seen them at many a church fellowship meal so believe me, I was happy to take it off her hands. It will definitely come in handy for Thanksgiving.

My middle daughter turned 22 on yesterday. I look back and wonder how that could possibly be!

I'm looking forward to Thanksgiving but I worry my oldest daughter who lives in California might not be able to come for Thanksgiving. Holidays are just not the same when family members are missing.

LMJ said...

Loved reading your tidbits! Do it more often. I find so many relatable things in those bits....
I’m also using the Bible app to read it chronologically, also in the NLT version. Only finishing up Job now. That book is a bit of a mouthful for me. 😏
Seems hard to let our babies go, doesn’t it? Only to discover I quite like the quiet house. ☺️
Keep on keeping on, as my dad often quotes.
~ Lois

Bethany Eicher said...

I enjoyed reading your tidbits ☺

Bethany Eicher said...

Glad you enjoyed it. So interesting that you're listening to the same things I've been - I did a good bit of head scratching over Job! ☺

Unknown said...

my tidbits:
the last 2 wkends we had company in honor of my hubby turning 40!:)
then last night and this morning my folks stopped in on their journey west to visit family in South Dakota!:)
And I have a quilt I MUST get finished to take along on our big trip to new Mexico over Christmas!:0 and my mom helped me quilt, we were able to roll it 4xs!:)
I am ready for live to slow down just a bit!
I love you sunset picture, ever think about it, the clouds are what make the sunsets so beautiful!? Tina Zimmerman

Bethany Eicher said...

Ohhh... you make me want to quilt and I love that thought about sunsets!

LRM said...

One take-away I have from our study of the book of Job in Sunday school, is about Elihu, Job's youngest "friend". He waited till last to speak, did not assign motives for Job's actions, or assume he knew why Job was suffering. He rebuked Job soundly, but for the things he actually said. And Elihu was the only one of the four that God did not rebuke.

So much for humans assuming we can with certainty explain the reasons for suffering. Only God can do that. I have a wordy commentator to thank for that insight about Elihu. Elihu's rant sounded much like the other three to me, until Matthew Henry shed some light on the situation. LRM

LMJ said...

Thank you so much for sharing your insight/inspiration! That adds some clarification. 😊

Bethany Eicher said...

Yes, that is interesting!

Danette Martin said...

I think of this type of tidbits blogpost as potpourri. Yours smelled really nice. :)