Friday, September 13, 2019

Book Recommendations

Happy Friday! I'm back with the promised post telling you about books that I recommend. Instead of four, I'm going to tell you about eight; how's that for a bonus?

Some of these books I've listened to, and some of them I have read. I now own one of them because it was that good; the rest have been returned to the library, either physically or online. Which brings me to this -- did you know you can get audio books from an 'online library'? My local library uses a free app called the Libby App; other libraries use different ones.

We have the App on all of our phones now and have listened to lots of books, at home and on trips. You can't always find what you're looking for and often you have to place a hold on a title and wait awhile but we sure have enjoyed it! 

So, without further ado....


It's been quite awhile since I read this book. I know I got it because of seeing it recommended somewhere but I can't remember where? I wasn't planning on sharing this one but this post reminded me of it. This is not my typical read. I don't like books that you have to wade through but this one was so intriguing and so good that it was worth some wading. 


This was a fun read. If you're into behind the scenes history type of stuff, you'll enjoy this book for sure. 


If you like marriage books, these are both good ones. It was summer time when I got these in on Libby, which isn't a good time to listen to books. I didn't quite get them both listened to before I needed to send them back so I have "For Women Only" on hold again.


I got this book on audio from the library a couple of years ago and it is incredible. Each of the main characters has a different reader and I honestly felt like I knew each of them personally after listening to this book. This probably isn't one you want to listen to with your children, at least not young ones. There's some language and explicit scenes that wouldn't be appropriate. I listened to it again on Libby in the past year.


These next two books are by the same author. I'm not sure which I would recommend that you read first? If you're a parent, and you only read one, I would highly recommend "Raising Grateful Kids In An Entitled World". I cannot say enough good things about this book. This is the one I decided I needed to have on my bookshelf so I could re-read it and mark it up and lend it out. I love "Rhinestone Jesus" too. It stirred me deep inside and made me wonder what would happen if we all pursued our 'God sized dreams'?


And then there is this one. Have you gotten on the ennagram bandwagon? If you're interested in the ennagram, this is the book you want to read -- in my opinion, of course. I haven't listened to all of it yet, mostly just to the numbers that describe me and my family members. We listened to some of it together as a family and it was very entertaining. When it began to vividly describe my eleven year old, she got a peculiar look on her face and protested,  "Just shut it off!!" Spoiler alert: You will find it amazing when it begins to describe your insides better than you could yourself but you prooobably won't like [at least some of] what you hear.

That's all for now.  Another time I might share some audio books we've enjoyed as a family. Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

Tina Z. said...

Thank you for these book recommendations! Any more you may have will be appreciated. :) :)Happy Friday to you too!!

Regina said...

I have For Women Only I bought at a Weekend to Remember marriage conference over the summer but I haven't started reading it yet. I have two other books I need to read that are part of a review program I'm a part of.