Wednesday, May 5, 2021

10 Pros and Cons: Cape Dresses

A while back I wrote about some pros and cons of homeschooling and I thought it might be fun to come up with more pro and con subjects. 

As a little explanation for this post -- I grew up in a church where the women wore homemade, cape dresses. The church we now attend allows other types of modest clothing, but I have chosen to continue wearing homemade, cape dresses. So, here are my 10 pros and cons in no particular order...

1) It is what I've always worn. I like the way they fit and look. When there is no compelling reason for change, why change? 

Sometimes it would be fun to do something different for a change but mostly I like not having to figure out a new way of dressing. 

2) It offers less temptation for excess. I feel like the principle of modesty includes amounts of possessions as well, and when I can't pick up a $2 skirt at Goodwill but need to make my clothes instead, it automatically cuts out some needless excess clothing. 

Sometimes a little more excess would feel less boring. 

3) It encourages me to pass on an invaluable skill. I think sewing is a valuable skill for my girls to learn. I know me well enough to know that if I didn't have to sew my clothes, it wouldn't be long before the skill would be lost. 

I am not a teacher. I actually don't really enjoy teaching this skill to my daughters. 

4) It makes choosing my outfit for the day simple. There's no need for putting together countless outfits -- I pull out a dress, and put it on!

Sometimes it would be fun to have more options for coordinating clothing. 

5) It is a little extra personal discipline in being intentional about what I wear. When I make my own clothing, it's harder to excuse a short skirt or sheer fabric or too large neckline -- I sat down and made that myself, I didn't just pick it up at a yard sale or thrift store because it was cheap. 

I will admit, when the dress so laboriously made does not fit, the option of buying things looks pretty attractive. 

6) It utilizes a skill that I enjoy. Sewing is a creative outlet for me, so why not use it?

Ask me this question when I need to pick out a seam or adjust a pattern for a growing girl; my answer might be very different. 

7) It is a personal, focal reminder that I belong to another Kingdom. Cape dresses are a unique way of dress that serve as a reminder to myself that I am representing Jesus and others will notice. 

Sometimes it would be nice if the reminder wasn't quite so focal. Pretty sure I could be reminded in more obscure ways. 

8) It makes it almost impossible to blend in with the world at large. Anyone who sees me knows immediately that there is something different about me. It is a natural generator of questions and conversations. 

Some days I would rather just blend in. 

9) It is a good way to dress modestly. Cape dresses are certainly not the only way to dress modestly but they are a good one. 

Sometimes I feel like choosing other ways of dressing modestly would be a lot easier. 

10) It is a way to honor my husband. My husband prefers cape dresses over skirts or even other kinds of dresses. He thinks they look pretty and feminine -- I kinda want to look that way for him. 🙂

There is no con for this one. 

10 comments:

Regina said...

I love your pro and con list for cape dresses. I'm teaching myself to sew and have made a couple of jumpers and I'm going to tackle a cape dress. I love the modesty that cape dresses provide. There was a time though I felt like I shouldn't wear cape dresses because 1. I'm not part of a Mennonite congregation 2. What if I am judged by Mennonite women who know I'm not Mennonite. 3. What if my pastors think I'm weird? I already know my pastors think I'm weird.
As for number 2 on my list all my cape dresses were made by Mennonite ladies from a congregation we would visit once in awhile while we were still in CA.
Now I want to tackle one myself. I have a pattern and lovely pink fabric. I even have a book called Sewing a Cape Dress. But after an attempt to sew a sloper bodice I'm afraid to cut into the fabric.
Anyway Bethany, perhaps your post today was the Lord's way of nudging me to at least cut out the dress. I wish my Mennonite friends here in Arizona lived closer instead of two hours away so they can come help me.

Bethany Eicher said...

Bless you, Regina. I certainly think there are other ways to dress modestly that look lovely! I wish you well in your sewing!!

Bertha said...

What a lovely post! Thanks.

Bethany Eicher said...

Well, what a lovely comment! 🙂Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I appreciate this! As a mom of 2 small girls, I was thinking just this morning about what I want my girls to understand about outward appearance, modesty, & the beauty & challenge of it all! Beings you're experienced (wink) on raising girls, maybe some day you can share what you've learned, tips you've given, or anything helpful in those delicate years of peer pressure & differing ways of doing things!

Bethany Eicher said...

Ohhh my... that's a big subject. I'll give it some thought!

Anonymous said...

I like this! Most things in life have substantial cons, but/and why not be content wherever possible :)

Anonymous said...

My sister Carol who no longer wears cape dresses mentioned (it's related to your number four) that wearing a cape dress would make it much simpler to decide how much to dress up or how casual to dress for a specific event. You just wear a cape dress all the time. LRM

Melinda Kornelsen said...

My favorite is number 10:) my dress patterns and fabric choices are very much governed by that!

Bethany Eicher said...

Yep. Mine too!