Monday, October 26, 2015

To Make Tortillas

Confession: You know the well is really dry when I start posting recipes.

Last week, when I was making tortillas, I thought it might be fun to take pictures for a "how to" type of post, so I grabbed my phone and snapped away. The results are far less than great quality but when you can't come up with something better to talk about sometimes you just go with it!

I didn't grow up with homemade tortillas but when two of my sisters spent time as missionaries in Belize, we learned the art of making them! The children and I love homemade tortillas; Chris, not so much. So this is usually a meal reserved for times when daddy isn't at home.

Tortillas

2 Cups Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Salt
1 1/2 T shortening
 3/4 Cup Milk
*I double this for my bunch.

I use my kitchen aid for the job but it works to do it by hand as well. I mix my dry ingredients in my mixer bowl, then add the shortening and mix it in with a fork til it's crumbly. (The inspiration for taking pictures came after this point, so I have no pictures...) Just a note here: I do not measure the shortening with a tablespoon. I take my fork and get a blob for one, and a smaller blob for a half. I am quite sure I use more than 1 1/2 T....

 Next, I dump in the milk. Or, if we're low on milk, I might do half water and half milk. With dough hook attached, I let the mixer do the rest of the work. 


Once you have a nice, soft ball of dough, separate the dough into balls.


Roll them into nice, smooth balls, kind of like you would for dinner rolls.


I like to put mine in a container, cover loosely, and place them in the oven with the oven light turned on. Let them rest for at least 15 minutes or longer. I think the longer they rest, the easier they work out but often I'm in a hurry!

Now it's time to get your pan on the burner and get it good and hot. I like my burner a little hotter than medium.


Now, take a ball and use your fingers to get your circle started.


Then get your rolling pin and make it nice and thin.



Pick your circle up carefully ( with 2 hands, obviously, unless you're taking pictures) and place it in your pan. 


If you want to be really Belizean, flip the tortillas with your bare hand, otherwise use a turner. Fry on both sides, then place inside a towel. Repeat and repeat and repeat.....

                        

If you're really good, you will have your eggs ready to be scrambled when you have about 3 balls left, and your beans will be warming in the microwave...



All set! Get ready to count tortillas and practice your division so everyone gets their fair share....



Enjoy! The children like these with jelly, too. Another favorite is putting cheese between two tortillas as I place them in the pile inside the towel and then cutting them in triangles to eat with soup or for a snack.

I've made these many times, and they still don't always turn out the same, so if they don't work the first time, don't get discouraged; try them again! And you can always blame it on a blogger who's not a cook but tries to blog about food anyway...



1 comment:

LMJ said...

Confession: I'm glad you're well is running dry. :-) I LOVE when 'my' bloggers post about the foods they cook....I'm always looking for new ideas/techniques. Thanks. I think homemade flour and corn torts are superior to bought ones, but I've actually never made the flour ones. Maybe I will someday, especially since I know that's my boys favorite.