Friday, January 13, 2017

31 Days: As Iron Sharpens Iron

Maybe I should just stop with that. "All of you go your way and listen to what the Spirit is saying to you about your money and possessions, and God bless you!"

I can't tell you what, "...sell all that  you have and distribute to the poor, and you will have treasure in Heaven; and come, follow me." (Lk 18:22) means for you. All I can tell you with certainty is that if you want eternal life it needs to mean something to you; it's in there for a reason.

I can't be the Holy Spirit in your ear --I don't even want to be-- but we do learn from each other. Proverbs 27:17 says, "Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend." And Hebrews 10:24, "And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and good works." Just maybe my stumbling thoughts and ideas on this journey can be that for someone, and so I'll keep talking.

What does it mean to store up treasure in Heaven? It can all feel very hypothetical to me -- store up treasure (whatever that means) in Heaven (a place that I can't even see or imagine or even go to, right now)? What does that even look like?

The first glib answer that comes to mind is something I heard long, long ago, I wish I could remember who said it -- There are two things that last forever: People and God's Word; invest in those. That is true, and it gives some direction. But it doesn't really give much practical 'how', and I'm a practical sort of person.

*I'll be back next week with some ideas on the 'how' of storing up treasure in Heaven.

3 comments:

Sherry said...

Thank you for your post everyday I can't wait to read them !

Bethany Eicher said...

Thank you for commenting! Made my day! ☺

Sherry said...

Bethany your welcome !! Every post is so thought provoking! Thank you