Thursday, November 21, 2019

An Un-typical Day

For one day, I gave eight children the pleasure of telling an adult how it's done. 

I sat in the big, important desk chair. 

Sixteen sets of eyes looked
 to me expectantly. 

I dug back in the archives of my 
Math Memory. 

I dusted off words like
"molecule" and "solar system".

I answered questions from people
 with waving hands. 

I read Charlotte's Web
and practiced my "Uncle" voice. 

I hung my coat on the hook on the wall. 

I carried my lunch like a child again. 

They called me Mrs. Eicher. 

I was a substitute. 


I was a substitute. 

They called me Mrs Eicher. 

I carried my lunch like a child again. 

I hung my coat on the hook on the wall. 

I read Charlotte's Web 
and practiced my "Uncle" voice. 

I answered questions from people
with waving hands. 

I dusted off words like
"molecule" and "solar system".

I dug back in the archives of my
Math Memory. 

Sixteen sets of eyes looked 
to me expectantly. 

For one day, I gave eight children the pleasure of telling an adult how it's done. 

4 comments:

Bethany Eicher said...

LRM, I accidentally deleted your comment 😏 But in reply, they were 3rd and 4th graders.

Anonymous said...

They're at a nice stage between the relatively dependent first and second graders and the transitional teens. Were any of the students your children? If so, did that seem a little awkward?

LRM

Bethany Eicher said...

None of my children are in that classroom 🙂

Regina said...

What a sweet memory for you. I remember my first preschool class I taught way back in the 80s when I was a young whippersnapper. Those children were so special to me.

As a matter of fact I still have one of the Christmas presents one of my students gave me. It's a lead crystal clock made in West Germany. I like looking at it because of it's a reminder that Germany was once split into two countries.