Saturday, April 10, 2021

Dear Little Girl

This is written to the little foster girl who was part of our family for six months. We still have some contact and, this past week, were able to pick her up for an evening at the park for Charles' birthday. We surprised him with the visit and he was so, so thrilled!

* * * * * * * 

We got to see you this week and it made my heart so very happy. When I got the idea to take you out for Charles' birthday, I was pretty sure you would be just as excited as him. We drove up to your house, and I saw your little face bounce excitedly at the window. Then, there you were, running out the door to give me a hug!

You were just as sweet as ever, with your shining brown eyes and your contagious little giggles. It was so fun to see you happy, healthy and glowing. 

I watched you run around the park in your rainbow boots and a thousand memories came to my mind. My heart squeezed and I felt a little teary, thinking about the good times and the not so good ones, all jumbled up together. There are no words to express how grateful I am that you are happily at your mama's house, where you belong. 

We ate chicken nuggets and fries together under the pavilion and it felt just like old times. How many, many times did we pick up McDonald's and head to the park during those long weeks of lockdown when the one park that was open offered an escape from days upon days at home? I watched Chris tease you and you took it in stride, as comfortable with us as if it had been yesterday that you sat at our table. 

After one last swing ride, we piled back into the van for the ride home. There was cheerful chattering and finishing of drinks. When we arrived, you bounced back in the door to your house as happily as you had bounced out, and I was glad. I thanked your mom for letting you come and turned to leave with a final goodbye. 

"Wait. She says she has something she wants to give you!"


You handed me your masterpiece with the proudest grin and I exclaimed at your artwork and gave you a hug. We all laughed together when you looked at me expectantly and wondered if I had anything to give you? Then we said goodbye again and the door closed behind me.

Oh, little girl. I am so honoured to still be a small part of your life. 

 * * * * * * * * * * 
I don't know why God blessed us with such a beautiful fostering story; I know that many, many stories don't turn out this way. I am forever grateful.