Monday, October 25, 2021

My Father's Touch 2.0

My soul feels cluttered these days. There are no words for the heartache of this wide world that I live in. And in my own, narrow world? No words for the muddle of questions and wrestlings and feelings that take up all the space in my brain. 

And so, today on my way home from town, I intentionally turned left at the stop sign instead of right. I took the path less traveled, and I stepped outside. I took the time once again to pause and look for beauty. And when I opened my eyes to actually see.... there it was:


A splash of yellow here...


Abandoned buckeyes there...


Crimson bittersweet vine climbing high...


Why, hello there Woolly Worm!


Hint of orange in the green...


Clusters of blue...


Leftovers from the squirrels...


Hint of pink and purple...


Spot of red....

In the process, somehow the clutter in my soul cleared a little. 

I accepted again my place in the story and felt down deep the presence of God. I acknowledged once again that people are people, and that we're all here (mostly) trying to do the right thing. I spoke to myself the truth, that one can judge right and wrong without judging the humans involved; that, indeed, it is necessary. 

Then I went home and put my groceries away and ate cottage cheese with salt and pepper on saltines. I cleaned out my fridge and washed the nasty dishes and swept the gritty floor. I breathed in deep and promised myself that I would remember to open my eyes wide more often.

Maybe you should too?


2 comments:

Luella said...

Hmmmm, this post resonates with me. I don't know if you are wrestling with the same brain things I am, but I can appreciate that I am not alone in their effects. It is so good to pause and purposefully reflect on truth!

Anonymous said...

Yes, taking a walk, praying, breathing in the great out of doors atmosphere and ambiance is helpful to my well-being, too. I missed my walk yesterday and Tuesday. I had time for a shorter-than-usual walk this evening after sunset (I wore a while scarf for visibility to motorists--I don’t remember any vehicles sharing the road with me). The walk helped ground me.
One thing I will say about the questions and disagreements these days: it’s complicated. May our enemy not get any advantage in these unusual times of polarization. And may all of God’s people truly love those around us. --Linda Rose