Tuesday, June 8, 2021

This n That

 It's a week of preparation in the Eicher household. We're about to embark on a three week vacation and we are busily doing all the things -- making lists, buying stuff, trying things out, hashing details. We've talked for years about going back to the Grand Canyon someday (we were there on our honeymoon) and have thrown the idea around about taking the family there in honor of our twentieth anniversary, but never really got serious until maybe six months ago. Now it's morphed into a three week excursion with lots of other places and experiences on our itinerary. Honestly, I'm not sure if it's crazy or exciting but it's happening!

We did a test run the other night
on setting up a tent...

Seven years ago, when we did our big trip to visit Laura's little houses, I got the children to write blog posts and kind of took you all along on our adventures. I'm thinking we'll probably do some of that again, but I really haven't figured out a game plan yet. (I've got too many other game plans I'm still figuring out at this point -- like finishing up sewing  that should have been done weeks ago.) 

I think I've said this before, but vacations and I have a complicated relationship. It's always hard for me to just throw myself into it and have fun because A) All the work and what about this and how will that work and what if.... and B) I can't help but feel apologetic because elaborate vacations seem so self serving and selfish. After all, we should probably really be giving all the money we will spend to the poor and all the time we are "squandering" to some kind of ministry, you know. 

For the record: This time I am trying really hard to just be enthused. 

It is going to be one big, gigantic adventure, of that I am sure. We will be camping part of the time and we have never gone camping as a family before -- need I say more? We should have lots of stories to entertain you with these next three weeks!

In the mean time, I wanted to share this opportunity with you all. I told you recently about Shari's book, remember? If you've been thinking of pre-ordering a copy, she's got a fun little offer for you over on her blog right now. Go check it out! I love her creativity. If you want to pre-order her book, you can do so right here

Also, some of you avid book fans, give me some audio book suggestions for the whole family. What books have you listened to that would be fun for an audience from 19 - 8 years old? (Plus two 40 somethings) I'd love suggestions. 

And now I should run along. 


Stop worrying and go enjoy the things that should be enjoyed -- like pretty flowers.

Cheers!


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

We like Adventures in Odyssey. Focus on the Family has some good radio dramas. Chronicles in Narnia might be interesting? You're coming to our state, and we wish we were going to your state on vacation to visit our family. lol

Bethany Eicher said...

Isn't that about how life goes?!

Danette Martin said...

I agree with the reader who mentioned Focus on the Family's radio dramas. Chronicles of Narnia and Les Miserables (Victor Hugo's masterpiece) are two that our family has enjoyed from that source. Also, are you familiar with the Mitford series by Jan Karon? The books that feature Dooley would probably interest your younger children the most out of that delightful set.
I wish you a wonderful family trip!!

Bethany Eicher said...

I looove the Mitford books! Thanks for the recommendations and well wishes πŸ™‚

Karen said...

We are on a road trip right now and just finished Young Fredle by Cynthia Voigt. We were all (ages 5-40something) sorry to hear the story end and my husband said, you could recommend this to Bethany Eicher. 😁

Bethany Eicher said...

I'm so glad for ideas!!

Tina Z. said...

Happy traveling! And I say don't feel guilty about your long trip. ;)

Ruth Weaver said...

Best wishes on your road trip! The memories will be priceless, so you can think about that. :) Your family seems enough like ours that you might enjoy the book "Once on a Time" by A.A. Milne from Librivox.org. Check out the dramatized version. It kept our family quite entertained on a good bit of the drive from Virginia to Calvary Bible School one year. Ruth Weaver

Gloria said...

Finally got around to your vacation vlogs, really enjoyed them!